It’s that time of year again… That’s right, it’s February which means that Valentine’s day is just around the corner. Whether you love it or hate it, are single, taken or planning on snuggling up with the only two men you need in your life – Ben and Jerry – you can never (NEVER) go wrong with a day full of Rom-Coms, and this, after all, is the perfect opportunity.
If you’re looking for somewhere to begin or you just can’t decide, here are my Top Ten Rom-Com recommendations to get you in the V-day spirit!
10. Pretty in Pink (1986) – Starting us off at number ten is a Molly Ringwald classic – if you’re a fan of her era in 1980s films then this one will definitely not disappoint. Andie’s unapologetic personality will instil you with a feeling of girl power, and you’ll eventually fall in love with Andrew McCarthy’s character despite his questionable facial hair.
9. When Harry Met Sally (1989) – It seems that the 80s were rife with brilliant rom-coms as this is the film that anybody who is obsessed with the genre has heard of. Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan play reunited college friends attempting to stay friends without sex becoming an issue – and yes, this is the film you’re thinking @ ‘that’ restaurant scene.
8. The Other Woman (2014) – If you’re looking for a more updated Rom-Com, this film is less traditional ‘romance’ and more ‘girl-power’. An all-star cast including Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann and Kate Upton lead an all-female take-down of the man who’s been playing them blind – putting self-love at the forefront of this fantastic film.
7. He’s Just Not That Into You (2009) – This film deals with – somewhat brutally at times – the realities of modern relationships for a number of women navigating the relationship world in their 20s/30s. This film is honest, funny and of course, has a happy ending. What more could you want?
6. Valentine’s Day (2010) – Aptly named, in an Americanised Love-Actually-esque tale of interweaving narratives, this film explores love in more than just the romantic sense of the word and across all ages. Truly heartwarming and featuring an all-star cast, this film will have you believing in love all over again.
5. You’ve Got Mail (1998) – What happens when your real-life rival becomes your online love interest? Joe Fox (Tom Hanks) and Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) are finding out in this classic Rom-Com.
4. Ten Things I Hate About You (1999) – I’m not sure if it’s Heath Ledger singing, the badass attitude of Kat Stratford, or the fact that this film came out the year I was born, but this classic is a well-known favourite among our generation – And it’s based on The Taming of the Shrew, so if you study English you can also kind of pretend that you’re working when really, you’re stuffing your face with ice-cream.
3. Pretty Woman (1990) – When rich businessman Edward (Richard Gere) hires prostitute Vivian (Julia Roberts) he has no idea of the complicated romance that is about to ensue. This updated Cinderella story is an all-time favourite and if you’re a fan of Julia Roberts films, you’ll know she is no stranger to the genre and this fantastic performance is no exception.
2. Bridget Jones’ Diary (2001) – Although we’ve left Christmas far behind us (which is why this film didn’t make number one), you can NEVER go wrong with Bridget Jones no matter what time of year it is. This film is funny, loud and just a little bit sexy… the perfect mix for all you aspiring spinsters this Valentine’s day.
1.How to Lose a Guy in 10 days (2003) – When Ben Berry (Matthew McConaughey) thinks he can make a woman fall in love with him in 10 days and Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) thinks she can get a man to leave her in the same, their plans backfire after deciding on each other as the participants in their experiments. This film is one of the funniest Rom-Coms I’ve watched, cleverly put together and carried fantastically by its two leads – it will make you laugh, cry and everything in between.
And finally, although some are not strictly Rom-Coms, here are a few honorable mentions if you’ve already exhausted the list:
– Clueless (1995)
– Three Men and a Baby (1987)
– Legally Blonde (2001)
– Dirty Dancing (1987)
Spread the Love!
– Molly Rymer