Chorizo Bean Stew
Serves 5 (as a side)
- 100g Chorizo
- 1x Onion
- Dried Herbs
- Olive Oil
- 1x Tin butter beans
- 1x cannellini beans
- 1x tin tomatoes
- 300ml Veg Stock
- Slowly melt the chorizo down, releasing the oils, once it starts to brown, take it out and leave the remaining oil in the pan.
- Fry off the onion, garlic and chilli and put the chorizo back in.
- Drain and rinse the beans, pour in the stock and the tinned tomatoes.
- Mix in the dried herbs, and let it simmer for 20 mins to reduce it down.
- Frozen berries
- Frozen spinach
- Ginger (can be frozen ginger)
- Almond butter
- Frozen Mango
- Coconut shards
These may seem like a lot of ingredients but if you buy them all, you can mix ‘n’ match to make what kind of smoothie you want! Blend your chosen ingredients together, add some water if too thick, and top with the ingredients used, or muesli.
Grandy’s Chorizo and Chicken Bake
- Olive oil
- 1x Large white onion
- 2x Red peppers
- 8x chicken thighs (skin and bone on)
- 860ml Chicken stock
- Chopped Chorizo
- 4x crushed garlic cloves
- 3x tsp smoked paprika
- 1x tsp chilli flakes
- 360 g white rice
- Lemon juice
- Chopped parsley (optional garnish)
- Heat olive oil, brown the chicken thighs all round, then remove. Pre-heat the oven at 180°
- Cook down the peppers, onions, and chorizo, before adding the spices and herbs.
- Add the stock, place the chicken back into the pan and cook for 15 mins.
- Place it all in an oven proof dish (if not already using a oven safe dish), and pour in the rice over the meat, giving it a stir, and place back in the oven for 20 mins.
- Once the rice has absorbed all the stock, and is golden on top, serve with a squeeze of lemon, chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Pack up the rest in Tupperware and it will keep for up to 4 days.
- Prawns, pre-cooked frozen prawns are so easy to defrost in minutes, just run them under the tap.
- When eating leftovers of Grandy’s chorizo and chicken bake, be careful reheating the rice as can make you ill.
- Keep the wraps in the freezer, they defrost in about 4 mins or place on top of the toaster to get a nice charred flavour.
- For sweet potato ‘toast’, slice it lengthways, 2 cm thick, microwave for a few mins, then finish in the toaster.
by Serena Harding aka Unimumma