Nothing says Christmas quite like the smells of ginger and cinnamon wafting through your house! This moist apple cake and gingerbread recipe will make the most perfect winter treats!
Spiced Apple Cake
Serves: 12, baking time: 1 hour
- 300g plain white flour
- 1 level teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 250ml veg oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 large or 3 small apples, chopped
- Flaked almonds
- Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a cake tin.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and salt in a bowl.
- Beat the oil, sugar and the eggs, then add the vanilla before mixing the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients until they are just about combined, then stir through the chopped apples.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin, sprinkle on some almonds and bake for around an hour, or until a skewer or knife comes out clean.
- Once the cake has cooled, dust some icing sugar over the cake and sprinkle with a few more almonds. Perfect served with vanilla ice cream.
Serves: 20+, baking time: 7 minutes
- 325g plain white flour
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 125g unsalted butter
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- Caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line some baking trays with grease proof paper.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a pan over a low heat and stir slowly until the sugar dissolves, then pour into the dry ingredients. Mix it all together until it forms a thick dough that can be rolled out. You may need to wait for the dough to cool for a little bit before it becomes thick enough.
- Roll the dough out to about 5mm thick, cut out your biscuits with some cookie cutters or a knife and place them on the baking trays. Sprinkle a little caster sugar over them.
- Bake the gingerbread in the oven for about 7 minutes, or until slightly brown around the edges. Let the biscuits cool for a few minutes before taking off the baking tray.
– by Luanna De Abreu Coelho