Our features sub-editor, Sophie, shares her collection of the greatest and most accessible outdoor cinema venues for July-September 2011…
Whatever your plans for this summer, I insist that you find time for buddies/colleagues/significant others at one of the following alfresco film events. Picnics, wine, great company and great films under a balmy evening sky -nothing compares.
1) Film4 at Somerset House http://www.somersethouse.org.uk/film A revamped programme from previous years, which offers more choice in a stunning venue (I’ll be watching The Spy Who Loved Me).
2) PicnicFilm http://www.picnicfilm.co.uk/ As yet to announce its next screening, this company offers classy clientele (think gourmet hampers) and is probably best to save for payday, but an impressive variety of film and beautiful venues (latest Blenheim Palace).
3) Rooftop Film Club http://www.rooftopfilmclub.com/index1.html A hugely popular London venue, find this screen on the roof of the Queen of Hoxton, Shoreditch between June and September- best be quick- tickets are selling out fast!
4) BP Summer Screens http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/whatson/bp-summer-screen-at-trafalgar-square-article-10764.html Expect ballet and opera screenings at landmark venues- Trafalgar Square and Canary Wharf. Best of all, its free!
5) Nomad Cinema http://www.whereisthenomad.com/ The clue’s in the name. These screens are somewhere near you this summer.
(Features Sub-Editor 2011-2012)